Since the first meeting in 1949, the Association of Desk and Derrick Clubs (ADDC) has ebbed and flowed with the tides of the energy and allied industries. Closely paralleling the fortunes of the petroleum industry of which it is a vital part, ADDC has grown in stature and value as it strives to adapt to the changing times. ADDC has continuously broadened educational opportunities for members and the general public. However, membership numbers have dropped—reflecting the current economy—and are strongly impacted by downsizing. Currently about 2,500 women and men employed in or affiliated with the energy and allied industries make up the 51 clubs within 7 regions throughout the United States and Canada.
Thousands of hours of education have been provided for members through monthly programs on the many facets of this industry, given by speakers ranging from company CEOs to oil-well-fire fighters. Field trips to offshore drilling rigs, refineries, and geological sites illustrate the meaning of the organization’s original name: Desk and Derrick. In addition, field trips to manufacturing plants and nuclear facilities have been made available. Special study courses, seminars, and workshops provide opportunities for members and interested parties to keep pace with the changes and technical advances taking place in the industry today. Topics range from the fundamentals of petroleum—containing subjects from finding the prospect to marketing the products—to governmental regulations. Additional educational opportunities include personal training seminars through the ADDC Leadership Resources Committee. Additional personal growth opportunities include ADDC conventions, regional meetings, town hall meetings, President’s training/meetings, Board meetings, committee meetings, orientations, installations and many more. Nine members have earned a certificate of completion for the ADDC Certification Program, completing the six courses (Geology, Land and Leasing, Drilling, Completions and Production, Accounting, and Marketing).
The Desk and Derrick Journal (originally called The Oil and Gal Journal)—the official publication of the ADDC—is a direct link between club members and the Association, is a magazine-style publication, is published three times per year, is distributed to each member, and is available online.
The Association established and maintains a distribution office in Oklahoma, where member clubs can order manuals, forms, books, videos, films and slide presentations. The Association Distribution Office (ADO) also provides general ADDC information and guidelines for club operations, program planning, and seminars.
Through PennWell Corporation, ADDC members provide updates to the D&D Standard Oil & Gas Abbreviator, which was originally authored by ADDC members. ADDC members have been instrumental in sponsoring and developing the Fundamentals of Petroleum, Land and Leasing, and Practical Petroleum Geology educational textbooks in conjunction with the University of Texas at Austin Petroleum Extension Service (PETEX). These textbooks have enhanced the contributions made by the organization to its industry.
The ADDC Educational Trust, was established to give financial assistance to individuals pursuing college degrees in subjects related to the petroleum, energy, and allied industries. Scholarships are awarded to eligible students attending accredited colleges on a full-time basis. Scholarships are also available to members of ADDC pursuing advanced college instruction. The Educational Trust has awarded over $300,000 in scholarships since its inception in 1982. The Paula Mace and Frances Hidell scholarships have recently been added to the awards available for qualified students.
The ADDC Foundation was established to assist the Association, its members and others working in the petroleum, energy, and allied industries to publish or produce educational materials, to conduct research, and to hold seminars and classes. The Foundation has sponsored and moderated the Energy Symposium at numerous ADDC conventions and supports activities of many educational programs.
Both the Educational Trust and the ADDC Foundation qualify as tax-exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
GREATER KNOWLEDGE — GREATER SERVICE was chosen as the motto in 1957 and continues to provide motivation to continue on the roads to education.
1983 — Polly Holden Tilley, Calgary
1984 — Helen Turgeon, Calgary
1985 — Marie Ann White, Calgary
1986 — Dorothy Harris, Edmonton
1987 — Lucy Mulgrew, Grande Prairie
1988 — Evelyn Black, Edmonton
1989 — Evelyn Marchuk, Regina
1990 — Lynne Grose, Calgary
1991 — Mary Andrews, Edmonton
1992 — Norma Jean Pratt, Edmonton
1993 — Kathi DesChene, Calgary
1994 — Marian Standring, Calgary
1995 — Dianne Partington, Calgary
1996 — Maureen Pearson, Calgary
1997 — Sharon McClare, Calgary
1998 — Donna Hayduk, Edmonton
1999 — Judy Frame, Calgary
2000 — Maureen McClean, Calgary
2001 — Lynne Dunstan, Edmonton
2002 — Doris Burak, Calgary
2003 — Terri Litschke, Calgary
2004 — Heather Stanley, Grande Prairie
2005 — Linda Topolinski, Alberta Foothills
2006 — Joan Richardson, Edmonton
2007 — Diana Zelasek, Edmonton
2008 — Marilyn Carter, Alberta Foothills
2009 — JoAnn Weiss, Grande Prairie
2010 — Mary Alice Rooney , Alberta Foothills
1989 — Bettye Miller, Lake Charles
1990 — Jo Johnson, Hobbs
1991 — Jo Rogers, Corpus Christi
1992 — Betty Nelson, Houston
1993 — JoAnn Quarles, Denver
1994 — Linda Butler, North Harris/Montgomery Counties
1995 — Joan Blair, Dallas
1996 — Kay Meyerhoff, Tulsa
1997 — Anna Louise Ferguson, Corpus Christi
1998 — Nancy Jorren Ingram, Artesia
1999 — Sheryl Ann Minear, Abilene
2000 — Norma Jean Donnay, Illinois Basin
2001 — Paula Mace, Little Egypt
2002 — Nancy Grosskrueger, Twin Cities
2003 — Candis Wells, Tyler
2004 — Val Williams, North Harris/Montgomery Counties
2005 — Patricia Cook, Houston
2006 — Linda Whittington, Oklahoma City
2007 — Natalie McClelland, Buckeye
2008 — Nell Lindenmeyer, Farmington
2009 — Jill Coble, North Harris/Montgomery Counties
2010 — Elaine Krueger , North Harris/Montgomery Counties
March, 1949 — First club was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana, by Inez Awty Schaeffer.
June, 1949 — Club formed in Jackson, Mississippi; followed by Clubs in Los Angeles, California (April, 1950) and Houston, Texas (August, 1950).
January, 1951 — Mrs. Schaeffer was named "Outstanding Woman in the Oil Industry" in recognition of her contribution in forming an organization devoted to educational programs for women employed in the petroleum and allied industries. Articles of Association were drafted.
July 23, 1951 — The Association of Desk & Derrick Clubs of North America was formed with the signing of Articles of Association by the presidents of the Desk and Derrick Clubs of New Orleans, Louisiana; Jackson, Mississippi; Los Angeles, California; and Houston, Texas. Combined membership of the four charter clubs was 883.
December 1 & 2, 1951 — First Board of Directors met in New Orleans. The regions were increased from two to five at this meeting. The states of Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington made up Region V. Arkansas, New Mexico, and Texas became Region VI.
January, 1952 — A Desk and Derrick Newsletter was published stating "this newsletter is a forerunner of our first National bulletin". A contest was held for the name of the new Association publication. Josephine Nolen of Odessa, Texas, won for the name THE OIL AND GAL JOURNAL with the first issue published in March.
February, 1952 — Letters requesting nominations for Regional Directors were sent to the regions that did not have a director.
September 12 & 13, 1952 — First Annual Convention of the Association of Desk & Derrick Clubs of North America was held at the Shamrock Hotel in Houston, Texas, presided over by the first Association President, Lee Wilson Hoover. Forty (40) of the forty-six (46) member clubs were represented by 997 registrants.
1952 — The Desk & Derrick Club of Edmonton, in the province of Alberta, was the first Canadian club to affiliate with the Association.
1953 — First Association award was presented for Best Feature Story covering the petroleum industry and appearing in a club bulletin.
1954 — The Association was redistricted to include eight regions and a temporary distribution office was established in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The distribution office was continued on a temporary basis, and the first study courses on petroleum subjects were approved.
1956 — Trademark of DESK AND DERRICK was established by the U.S. Patent Office. The Association Distribution Office (ADO) was permanently established and remains in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
1957 — GREATER KNOWLEDGE — GREATER SERVICE was adopted as the motto of ADDC.
1960 — The name and trademark "Desk and Derrick" was accepted for registration in Canada.
1967 — The Desk and Derrick Standard Oil Abbreviator was conceived by the members of each club who furnished lists of abbreviations used in all branches and department of the industry.
1977 — "of North America" was deleted from the Association's name and the acronym ADDC became common usage.
1979 — Fundamentals of Petroleum, published by the Petroleum Extension Service of the University of Texas at Austin, went on sale. The publication is now in its fifth printing.
1982 — The Desk and Derrick Educational Trust was established to give assistance to individuals pursuing college degrees in subjects related to the petroleum, energy, and allied industries.
1983 — Nickle’s Energy Group, of Calgary Alberta, began sponsoring the annual "Oil Women of the Year" award for the Canadian members of Desk and Derrick and donated $1,000 in the winner’s name to the Desk and Derrick Educational Trust. In 1988 the title of the award was changed to "Energy Person of the Year" to reflect the equitable membership change of the Association. In 1989 Nickle’s added a second award to be given to U.S. members and donated an additional $1,000 to the ADDC Foundation. These two awards and subsequent donations continued each year until 2010.
1987 — The ADDC Foundation was established to assist the Association, its members, and others in the petroleum, energy, and allied industries. Its purpose is to publish and produce educational materials, to conduct research, and to sponsor seminars and classes. The first issue of The Desk and Derrick Journal was published in February, replacing The Oil and Gal Journal.
1988 — Delegates at the Annual Convention approved equitable membership in the Association, opening membership to men.
1994 — Association purpose was amended to read, "The purpose of the Association shall be to promote the education and professional development of individuals employed in or affiliated with the petroleum, energy and allied industries."
1996 — First Association website went online in September.
1998 — The Association Board adopted a mission statement — "To enhance and foster a positive image to the global community by promoting the contribution of the petroleum, energy and allied industries through education by using all resources available."
1999 — A trademark for PetroMolly™, a young woman dressed in coveralls and hardhat with oil drop-shaped head and derrick eyes was not pursued.
2000 — A new Association website was designed and implemented through the Energy Connection of TIPRO (Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Owners) under the direction of Steve Kirk and with the assistance of Mike Wiggins of the ADO.
2001 — ADDC celebrated its 50th year anniversary.
1951-2001 Memory Book
2002 — Introduced the ADDC Certification Seminar. First ADDC Membership Pin was distributed to membership. Fifth printing of the Desk and Derrick Club Member Handbook.
2003 — Resurrected the Fort Worth Club coloring book, which became the "Bit of Fun" Energy Activity Book, with the recommendation of introducing PetroMack™. The Desk and Derrick Journal was published as a magazine-style publication for the first time in 14 years to many accolades.
2004 — Published the first "Bit of Fun" Energy Activity Book.
2005 — ADDC celebrated its 54th year anniversary. A new Association website was designed and implemented. The "Bit of Fun" Energy Activity Book was published in the Canadian metric version in May.
2006 — ADDC celebrated its 55th year anniversary. Redefined ADO responsibilities and hired André Martin as the new ADO Manager. Updated and revised the membership database to include more reporting capability. Combined Tulsa Trip and Budget & Planning Meeting as a more cost effective and efficient way to start the Association’s year. Established Board Member Only section on the website that contains links to the instructions for our accounting package as well as sample documents for the President and Board Members to use. Provided a seminar at Convention with U.S. and Canadian tax professionals to discuss changes in tax laws regarding not-for-profit organizations and how ADDC’s member clubs need to act to maintain their tax-exempt status.
2009 — ADDC Distinguished Service Award presented to Gerald Harrington (nominated by the Roswell Club) for his outstanding contributions to the Association and the energy industry. Pat Cook awarded the ADDC Special Achievement Award.
2010 — Energy Activity Book Teaching Guide and CD were completed and published. New club added, Three Rivers Club in Region I, making 61 Clubs. The club charter was presented by President Donna Siburt on June 17, 2010. New shortened timeline established for Convention. This was a result of changes approved at the 2006 ADDC convention. The ADDC website was again revamped and updated.
2011 — The Desk and Derrick Club of Liberal received the Special Achievement Award in recognition of their contributions to the purpose and mission of ADDC. Grand Mesa and Calgary clubs disbanded.
2012 — Tri-State Club chartered in Evansville, Indiana, with 13 original members. Effective January 1, 2013, Standing Rule added which will allow ADDC clubs to use social media (i.e., Facebook, Twitter) for communicating club activities. Distinguished Service Award presented to Natalie Bright. Special Achievement Award presented to the Desk and Derrick Club of Great Bend.